Sunday, September 9, 2012

Help Wanted? Inquire Within


How are you, NIP?

            Well, I hope. Life has been a little on the rough side lately, as it seems that challenges continually arise from one moment to the next these last few weeks. I like challenges, though, because they are a continual reminder that I have so much work to do in my own life. Each one to arise is another lesson in the art of living well, constantly reinforcing the paramount question of ethics, “How am I to live?” I’m not sure that there is any one single answer to that question, mainly because life and the challenges we face are too dynamic for a categorical response (Kant might say otherwise). Be that as it may, I have found a source of inspiration and strength that goes beyond words, which is what I hope to share with you in this brief letter, NIP.

            In the last letter I wrote, I said that—substantively speaking—I am a “Jesusist.” I grew up as a Christian in the Roman Catholic Church, and still have much respect for it because it will always be my roots, my home, in terms of my initial inculcation into the mystery of the sacred. After studying religion for many years at the university level, that respect branched out to all other cultural incarnations of the concept of the sacred, to the point that I cannot and will not elevate one over another. Who am I, after all, other than a simple person with a very finite understanding of what life is and all that its mystery entails. When asked what my religion is, I often say “none,” but I could just as easily say “all.” I often think of the Dalai Lama’s answer: “My religion is kindness”; perhaps even better is Ziggy Marley’s statement in a song of the same name, “Love is my religion.” And when one thinks about these statements, they are in some sense the essence of Jesus’ teachings in the synoptic Gospels (and with many other spiritual sages such as Siddhartha, Lao-Tzu, etc). But I’ve always had a difficult time putting into words what that term “Jesusist” means to me; it was something I felt more than analytically understood.

            This past week, however, the words I had been searching for were explained in great detail by Stephen Mitchell, a famous translator who has done work on the Tao Te Ching, The Book of Job, and The Bhagavad Gita (my favorite translation that I often read). The book that I am currently reading, however, is The Gospel According to Jesus, which effectively clears away the clutter of early evangelical accretions. Having studied the Gospels in the koine Greek in which they were written, my views of the texts had been fundamentally altered. Many of the issues that I could never directly put my finger on yet intuitively felt in my heart have been made clear by Mitchell’s exquisite scholarship. Time and again Mitchell makes cross cultural comparisons with other wisdom literature to Jesus’ insights, all of which only add to the beauty and depth of Jesus’ sagacity. To be a “Jesusist,” then, is to place primacy on his social ministry, his fundamental teachings (parables, Sermon on the Mount, etc) rather than the dogma and doctrine that was added by others decades and centuries later.

            While there are many passages I like in the synoptic Gospels, Mitchell’s book time and again returned to one of my favorites (Luke 17:21): “The kingdom of God is within you.” When one reflects on all of the times this teaching comes up, it makes perfect sense that this is his primary lesson for human beings to learn (which is not easy, to be sure). And this brings me to my main point—mindfulness/meditation is perhaps the best way to cultivate this awareness. As someone who has been practicing mindfulness meditation for nearly 3 years, I can say with assuredness that the practice has profoundly changed me for the better. While I know I have much work to be done in terms of becoming a better husband, a better brother, a better son, a better teacher, a better friend, a better human being in general, I can also say that I’ve made tremendous inroads toward these goals because of the practice. I still consider myself a novice, to be sure, but there are moments…moments when the discursive mind settles into a state of equilibrium and—though brief these moments may be—a profound, quiescent state of calm equanimity emerges. There are no words for the feeling, precisely because it is an experience and not an explanation. If there were words that come close, they would be Jesus’ insistence that all we ever need is within; a close second would be Howard Thurman’s phrase of “God comes to the quiet mind.”

            Whether you are a religious person or not, NIP, I would strongly suggest you begin a mindfulness practice. While there is a huge body of scientific evidence that illustrates its efficacy in myriad aspects (stress reduction, emotional control, improved working memory, etc) of our lives, none of those can come close to the reservoir of resiliency we build within ourselves over time. This cultivated quiescence becomes a source of strength to which we can turn inwardly at any time. It is always there, waiting to be tapped. And once you do, you will perhaps find that it is inexhaustible. Facing the current challenges in my life have been all the more rewarding because I have been able to put them in the proper perspective: they are lessons to be learned from the greatest teacher we all share, life itself. Every time we settle into any moment mindfully, even for a single minute, it’s a chance for us to get into touch with that eternal source; whether we call it the Higher Self (the Gita), Witness Mind (the yoga sutras), or the Kingdom of God (the Gospels/Jesus), they are all appellations for the same experience, one that transcends words and touches the ground of being, the sacred, the essence of all of life itself.

If you need help with any aspect of your life, NIP, look no further than within yourself.

Namaste and Pax Vobiscum,

- Ryan

P.S. – While I could never find the exact words to describe my take on being a “Jesusist,” I think these words by Leo Tolstoy come really close (interestingly enough, Tolstoy had a profound conversion experience late in life, much of which he writes about in his lesser known yet incredible book, The Kingdom of God is Within You):

That (Jesus’) teaching tells us nothing about the beginning, or about the end, of the world, or about God and His purpose, or in general about things which we cannot, and need not, know; but it speaks only of what man must do to save himself, that is, how to best live the life he has come into, in this world, from birth to death. For this purpose it is only necessary to treat others as we wish them to treat us. In that is all the Law and the prophets, as Jesus said. And to act that way, we need neither icons, nor relics, nor church services, nor priests, nor catechisms, nor governments, but on the contrary, we need perfect freedom from all of that; for to treat others as we wish them to treat us is possible only when a man is free from the fables which the priests give out as the truth, and is not bound by promises to act as other people may order. Only such a man will be capable of fulfilling, not his own will nor that of other men, but the will of God.   

P.P.S. (updated 9/14) - One of my students asked me about whether or not I had seen this video the day after I originally posted this letter. I was shocked to hear Chaplin mention the very same line I mentioned in this letter, which is part of the reason I am sharing it with you (the main part of the reason is simply that it's a good message).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment